5 Ways To Detox Your Home & Reduce The Risk of Cancer
1. Change Your Cleaning Products
On the other hand, many people opt for DIY cleaning products because it is cheaper to make your own than to purchase green products that may contain some questionable ingredients. With common household items such as vinegar, water, essential oils, lemon, and baking soda, you can make natural detergents, all-purpose cleaners, and deodorizers for your home.
If you have breast cancer or are trying to prevent breast cancer or any cancer for that matter, this is an important and powerful first place to start to reduce the toxic load on your body thus reducing your risk of cancer as well as reversing it.
2. Stop Using Dryer Sheets
One product that many people don’t realize contains harmful chemicals – especially because they smell so good – are dryer sheets. In truth, dryer sheets coat your clothes, sheets, and towels with chemicals and release carcinogens that float through vents in your home. Another perk of eliminating dryer sheets is that your towels will be more absorbent without the chemical residue.
3. Avoid Vinyl Shower Curtains
We are learning about the hazards posed by warm water bottles and plastics, and now we know that vinyl shower curtains also may be toxic. Vinyl shower curtains typically release volatile organic compounds that become a gas at room temperature and can cause headaches and dizziness, nausea, and eye and throat irritation. Opt for shower curtains made of cotton, nylon, polyester, or EVA/PEVA plastic instead.
4. Stop Using Pesticides
As if the declining bee population weren’t enough reason to stop using pesticides, the toxic effects they have on your home and family should be. Pesticides are known to cause nerve, skin, and eye damage, headaches, and nausea, so it is much better to deal with pests in natural ways. Of course, if you have pests or rodents that cause disease, you should consult with a professional to protect you and your family.
- Fleas – If your pets have fleas or if you have fleas in your home, essential oils like cedar oil and lavender oil will drive them away. You also can combine lemon with water when combing your pets or create a flea spray with white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar, water, and lavender or cedar oil to rid your four-legged friends of fleas.
- Ants – There are several natural ways to get rid of ants. Some people recommend sprinkling cayenne pepper or spraying lemon water near the source of the ants. Others suggest spraying a vinegar solution or dish soap at the source.
- Mosquitoes – While it is tempting to spray pesticides around your home or bug spray on your family members and yourself to limit the mosquito population, these solutions are toxic and harmful. There are several ways to keep mosquitoes away, including making homemade citronella candles, using a few drops of lavender near your porches and windows, using a simple lavender body oil, and throwing a few stalks of rosemary on the barbecue or hot coals of the fire.
5. Eliminate as Much Dust as Possible
Dust is not just something that makes our homes unappealing; it contains more than 5,000 species of bacteria and 2,000 species of fungi. Dust especially causes health problems in children because it contains flame-retardant chemicals, phthalates, and other chemicals. There are several ways you can cut down on the amount of dust in your home, including using dry, unscented microfiber cloths that attract dust instead of scattering it. Do not use sprays because they contain chemicals or feathers because they do not hold the dust inside the way microfiber cloths do. Other ways to eliminate more dust include using a HEPA filter in your vacuum, vacuuming regularly, and frequently replacing air filters in your HVAC system.
This article was provided by Charlotte Meier. Charlotte Meier loves helping people ensure the safety of their families and their homes. She enjoys collecting resources and educational materials to share with people who wish to keep their homes safe. With that in mind, she started Home Safety Hub, which provides resources on preventing injury and property loss.
Discover 6 Most Powerful Anti-Cancer Foods To Eat Now
Discover exactly what to eat to stop cancer in its tracks and start your healing journey.